Your writing matters. Get to work on it.
Whether you are just starting out or looking to push your writing to the next level, join our students who have had work published, won honors and awards, and become the writers they wanted to be.
About the Program
The Creative Writing Certificate and Writer's Studio open enrollment courses offer the following benefits for our students:
- Personalized instruction from high-quality instructors
- Inspiring interaction with other serious writers
- Learning opportunities uniquely designed for adult students
- Convenient downtown location
All courses meet once a week for 2.5 hours and are usually 8 or 10 weeks long, with some short courses and seminars available. Courses are mostly workshop-based, focused on discussion of student and published writing.
- Open Enrollment Courses do not have an admission process and are available to anyone who wishes to improve their writing, and cover a variety of topics (course codes start with WS)
- Certificate courses are by admission only (course codes start with WC)
Certificate students develop a substantial body of work in a particular genre through 4 ten-week workshops that culminate in 15 weeks of one-on-one instruction. They also take multigenre electives, give a public reading of their work, and participate in a publishing seminar.
In order to be awarded the Certificate in Creative Writing, a student must satisfactorily complete the following program requirements:
- Four core curriculum courses in the student's chosen genre
- At least 2 electives
- An individually mentored tutorial
- A final project
- Public reading from the student's work
Visit the Certificate Curriculum page for more information on the Creative Writing Certificate Program.
To register for open courses, browse our online listings.
To apply to the certificate program, you will need to submit the following:
- Completed application, including a self-evaluation of your writing
- Application fee ($40)
- Writing sample (10-20 pages of prose; 3-5 pages of poetry)