Student Resources

Community Safety

The University is committed to working with the community and the Chicago Police Department to prevent crime and improve public safety in our community. The University of Chicago Police Department has approximately 100 professionally trained officers with full police powers to serve University students, faculty, staff, and community members. In addition, the University partners with the City of Chicago as well as neighborhood organizations to improve transportation and other aspects of community life.

We encourage students to take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the University of Chicago Community Safety FAQs and Safety Resources.

Career Development

Programs and services provided by UChicagoGRAD complement Graham School efforts to help graduate students increase the impact of their scholarship and get an edge on the job market through flexible training.

Counseling Center

The Student Counseling Service (SCS) provides mental health care to University of Chicago students who are in programs that pay a student life fee. This care includes needs assessment, psychotherapy, psychiatric consultation, academic skills assessment program, support groups, referrals, emergency services, and health promotion and wellness programs.

Disability Services

To ensure the intellectual richness of research and education, the University of Chicago seeks to provide an environment conducive to learning, teaching, working, and conducting research that values the diversity of its community. The University strives to be supportive of the academic, personal and work-related needs of each individual and is committed to facilitating the full participation of students with a disability in the life of the University.

Student Disability Services works to provide resources, support and accommodations for all students with disabilities and works to remove physical and attitudinal barriers, which may prevent their full participation in the University community.

English Language Institute

The English Language Institute seeks to meet the English language and enculturation needs of international students from all programs and divisions across the University. ELI offers academic year courses and tutoring in areas such as pronunciation, fluency, academic writing, and academic and professional English.

Financial Aid

The Student Loan Administration Office is responsible for processing student loans and work-study for students in the graduate and professional schools and divisions. SLA conducts entrance and exit student loan counseling for all students who receive federal student loans, and authorize disbursements of federal student loan funds. In addition, they provide service and collections for all Federal Perkins and institutional loan programs.

Students who are enrolled in degree seeking programs at least half-time are eligible to apply for federal student loans.

Graduate-Students-At-Large are only eligible for alternative loan programs.

Fitness And Recreation

The University of Chicago's recreational facilities are open and available for both students and the at-large campus community alike. An active membership is required in order to access the buildings and fields. Membership packages are available for the following groups:

  • Students and spouses/partners
  • Faculty/staff and spouses/partners (active or retired)
  • Alumni and spouses/partners
  • Laboratory School parents
  • Children of members
  • Community members
Health Insurance

Students in the following programs must either enroll in the University’s Student Health Insurance Plan (USHIP) or submit a waiver to demonstrate comparable coverage:

  • Master of Arts in Teaching (UTEP)
  • Graduate Students-at-Large

Students must confirm or waive enrollment by 5pm Central time on the fourth Friday of their first quarter enrolled at the University.

Students in the following programs may "opt in" to U-SHIP coverage on an individual basis:

  • Graham School Master of Liberal Arts program
  • Graham School MS Analytics program
  • Graham School MS Threat Response and Management program
  • Graham School MS in Biomedical Informatics program

For additional information on U-SHIP eligibility and benefits, contact the on-campus insurance office at


University of Chicago’s Residential Properties (RP) assists qualified graduate students in locating a home within close proximity to the Hyde Park campus. Graduate students may apply for Graduate Student Housing through the University of Chicago.

International AFFAIRS

The Office of International Affairs is dedicated to enhancing a vibrant international community and to fostering cross-cultural experience. They welcome, support and strengthen diversity through advocacy and holistic service.

International students are asked to choose between the two student statuses available: F-1 and J-1. All students are eligible for F-1 status, and it is the more common type. However, if you are an exchange student or if you have a scholarship, grant or other award that pays for at least half of your tuition cost, you can also qualify for J-1 status sponsored by the University of Chicago.

Both of these statuses will allow you to study here, and both allow for on-campus and some off-campus work authorization. There are a few important differences between the two statuses, however, so please read contact the Office of International Affairs if you have any further questions about how to choose a status.


As a private institution, the University of Chicago Library is dedicated to serving the research and teaching needs of our faculty and students, as well as the larger University community of alumni and staff. Beyond serving the University, we also recognize that we are a destination for scholars from around the world and strive to provide access to our collections to those with a legitimate research need. If your research leads you to our collections, we will do our best to provide access whenever possible.

We expect all users to abide by the policies and principles expressed in the Library's statement of User Rights and Responsibilities for Creating and Sustaining a Scholarly Environment. We are committed to providing access to both our physical and electronic resources to users with disabilities; for more information see Services for Users with Disabilities.

User access varies based on your University affiliation. Please visit the University of Chicago Library website to view what kinds of access and privileges we can offer you.

Writing Program: Little Red School House

The Writing Program partners with UChicago Grad to offer writing support to graduate students across the divisions. The Writing Program offers graduate writing consultations; increased graduate seats in cornerstone courses, Academic and Professional Writing (ENGL 33000); and a series of workshops that teach graduate student writers to recognize and diagnose writing issues common to expert writing, along with revision techniques for addressing them. The Writing Program is located in Stuart 330, 1116 East 59th Street.


The Office of the University Registrar facilitates faculty teaching, student learning, and institutional research. As the stewards of student data, academic systems, and central classrooms, we provide service to all faculty, students, administrators, and alumni.

The Office of the University Registrar helps students by providing services that assist them in their time on campus and in their transition after their academic program is complete. Students can contact the Registrar’s Office via email at registrar@uchicago.eduor call 773.702.7891.

Uchicago Grad

UChicago Grad is a one-stop shop of integrated services to help graduate students and postdocs navigate their academic and professional careers. UChicago Grad provides flexible training that complements support in academic units.

UChicago Grad staff are committed to serving the graduate and postdoc community, focusing on recruitment; skills and experience; career development; and alumni engagement.