Student resources for Liberal Arts programs (Basic Program, the Open Program, Writer's Studio, and Visual Outreach and Education) at the Graham School.
Attend a webinar session to learn how to get started with using Canvas and Zoom for your online course. Click on the desired time slot below to sign up for a training session.
1. You will receive an email invitation from UChicago Canvas that looks like the one below, inviting you to participate in the Canvas site for your course. Please click the Get Started button.
2. The next screen should look like this:
If you have never taken an online course before, click the “Create My Account” button (follow 3A below).
If you HAVE taken an online course before, click the “I Have a Canvas Account” button (follow 3B below).
3A. Create My Account: You should see the screen below. Your email address is already in the form. Please create a password, and write it down so you don’t lose it. Select your Time Zone. Click on the “I agree to the Acceptable Use Policy box”, and then click Register.
You should now see the home page for your course.
You are now registered for Canvas, and can access all the information you need for your course.
3B. I Have a Canvas Account: When you get the email invitation to the course, click the Get Started button. You will get a message that says “You must log in before you accept the course registration”. You will see the following screen:
Click on the “Login without a CNetID” button. You will see the following screen:
If your username and password are not automatically populated, enter your username, (which is the email address you used to register with) and the password you created. Click the “stay signed in” box so you don’t have to log in again. (If you forgot your password, click the “Forgot Password” link to reset your password and try again.) Click the log in button.
You will see the home page for your course. You are now registered for the Canvas site for your new course.
4. If you are taking more than one course, you can click the Dashboard link on the far left menu to see the Dashboard with all the courses that you are taking.
Clicking on a course box will open the course.
5. If you get logged out, or have to log out, you can log back in to Canvas starting from step 3B above.
1. Go to the course home page in Canvas. You should see a link to “Zoom: Professional Education” on the left side of the page.
Click on that link.
2. In that window, you will see the name of your course, with a button that says “Join”.
3. Click the “Join” button. You will see the following screen:
4. Click the “Open Zoom Meetings” button. You will see the following screen:
5. Click “Join with Computer Audio”. You’ll see the following screen:
Click the “Start video” icon in the lower left part of the screen.
6. You are now in your Zoom classroom!
© Copyright 2016–2020 University of Chicago