Courses in the Editing certificate program are designed to prepare students to enter the publishing industry and to help current editing professionals build skills and knowledge for career advancement. The goals of the Editing program are that every learner will effectively:
- Describe and manage the publishing process and the role and responsibility of the copy editor
- Use the Chicago Manual of Style as an editing tool
- Develop strategies for approaching an editing or proofing project
Classes are available both online and in-person at the Gleacher Center in downtown Chicago.
Editing Program Structure
- Four required courses and one elective
- Class sizes are small, ranging from 10-20 students per course
- Students can complete the certificate in as little as three quarters
- Tuition for each course ranges between $975 and $1,125
Online and In-Person Class Formats
Classes are offered in two formats: online or in-person. Students may take all courses online or enroll in a combination of online and in-person courses.
|4 to 6 weeks course length||Courses are offered in a convenient 3-day seminar format at the University of Chicago Gleacher Center in downtown Chicago|
|Weekly live class sessions, offered weekday evenings or Saturday mornings||Seminar schedule is Thursday-Saturday from 9:00am-4:30pm|
|Between the weekly synchronous sessions, participants complete required readings, assignments, and self-study activities|
|Learn more about taking online courses
Apply to the Editing Certificate
Applications are rolling—admissions decisions are typically made within two to three weeks.