The Medical Writing and Editing certificate program is designed to teach students the fundamentals and best practices of crisp, clear, and sophisticated medical writing and editing. The comprehensive curriculum ensures students are trained in the industry standard AMA Manual of Style. Coursework includes how to access medical research, use of appropriate terminology, and data graph design.
Students have the opportunity to learn from experienced writers and editors working in the medical publishing field. Program instructors have worked with and for organizations such as the American Medical Association, WebMD, the Mayo Clinic, the Journal of Infectious Diseases, and the Journal of Graduate Medical Education.
Students must complete 4 courses to earn the certificate. Students who complete 6 courses will earn an advanced certificate. The program can be completed in as little as two quarters (6 months).
Classes are offered in two formats, online or in-person. Students may take all courses online or enroll in a combination of online and in-person courses.
- 3 to 5 weeks course length
- Weekly live class sessions, offered weekday evenings and Saturday mornings
- Between the weekly synchronous sessions participants complete required readings, assignments and self-study activities
Learn more about taking online classes.
- Courses are offered in a convenient 3-day seminar format at the University of Chicago Gleacher Center in downtown Chicago
- Seminar schedule is Thursday-Saturday from 9:00am-4:30pm
- Introduction to Medical Editing I
- Introduction to Medical Editing II
- MEDLINE and Beyond: Medical Research Databases
- Advanced Medical Editing
- Writing in the Medical Sciences
- Interpreting and Reporting Biostatistics
- Designing and Editing Tables and Graphs
- The Structure of Medical Articles
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis throughout the year. A bachelor’s degree is a pre-requisite for the program
Applicants must submit:
- Completed online application
- $40 application fee (non-refundable)
- Personal statement
- Current resume or CV
Students may take one course without applying to the program.
Members of related professional associations such as the American Medical Writers Association, Council of Science Editors, National Association of Science Writers, International Society of Managing and Technical Editors, Editorial Freelancers Association, and Independent Writers of Chicago as well as BELS certified editors qualify for a 10% discount when able to provide proof of current, valid membership. The professional membership discount is not available for online registration. Please call 773.702.1722 to register. If you are a member of an organization not listed above, please contact email@example.com