The Bridge Scholarship is a merit-based, full-tuition award for graduating seniors of Historically Black Colleges and Universities and Hispanic-Serving Institutions who would benefit from a year of academic study at a leading research university.
Scholarship Award is Tuition for six University of Chicago courses.
The program will benefit students seeking to explore academic disciplines in greater depth and will be encouraged to take courses across the University of Chicago's graduate divisions. Students who wish to expand their research in a graduate or interdisciplinary setting can take full advantage of the University's resources.
Applicants must possess the following to be considered for the program:
- BA or BS degree at time of matriculation
- Minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0
Students interested in the program must seek a letter of nomination from their current undergraduate institution (this may be from a department chair, academic dean, director of undergraduate studies, or dean of students at applicant’s graduating college or university), and once received, the scholarship advising team will reach out with more information about the application. Please submit nominations to Esther Pandian Riske or Mitchell Catalano.
- Undergraduate transcript (official)
- Candidate statement of purpose
- Current resume
- 3 letters of recommendation, at least 2 of which are from faculty
- Institutional letter of nomination
Percentage of Students Who Matriculate to Graduate Programs
- 67% of the 2018-19 cohort matriculated to graduate program (67% within UChicago)
- 60% of the 2017-18 cohort matriculated to graduate programs (30% within UChicago, 30% to other institutions).
- 50% of the 2016-17 cohort matriculated to graduate programs at UChicago
The Bridge Scholar selection committee will include:
- Dean of the Graham School
- Academic associate deans of the Graham School
- University faculty
- Vice Provost for Academic Leadership, Advancement and Diversity.
Institutions may nominate up to three students. No more than a total of ten scholarships will be awarded.
Bridge Scholarship students may register for undergraduate and graduate courses in any University of Chicago division or school, except for the Pritzker School of Medicine, Booth School of Business, and the Law School.
Academic advising forms an integral part of program success. Scholarship recipients are required to meet regularly with an academic advisor. Quarterly programming includes alumni panels and receptions, faculty brownbags, and academic and career workshops.
- Tuition for 6 courses (2 courses per quarter, earning a total of 600 units of credit)
- Academic advising
- Lifetime transcript fee
Out-of-pocket expenses include:
- Medical insurance (2017-18): $4,398
- Student life fee: $1,100 (Estimate)
- Books and course materials: $1,500 (Estimate)
- Meals and supplies: $4,500 (Estimate)
- Accommodation: $7,000 - $10,000 (Estimate)
Deadline for institutional nominations, completed student online applications, and letters of recommendation
Dean’s meetings for decisions
Admissions decisions are relayed to students
Deadline to accept or decline Bridge Scholarship
Mitchell Catalano, Program Coordinator | 773.834.4105
Esther Pandian Riske, Associate Director, GSAL and RS Programs | 773.702.1682