The Essentials of Project Management certificate introduces students to the technical and interpersonal skills necessary to master the basic theory and practice of project management.
Through interactive discussions and group assignments, students will gain direct experience using appropriate tools and techniques that will successfully execute a project from initiation through completion. Unlike many foundational programs, students will be exposed to many of the “soft skills” inherent in successful project execution such as communication, interpersonal relationships, and problem-solving.
Professional Impact of a Project Management Essentials Certificate
Professionals understanding the basics of project management make themselves a valuable part of a growing industry. The number of project management jobs is growing at an exponential rate and trained project managers will be prepared to excel in any organization. Participants in this program will:
- Learn to make effective decisions regarding when, how, and what degree of rigor is required in the project implementation process
- Understand the Knowledge Area Process Groups framework of project management and how to tailor it for various projects
- Learn to develop an effective project management plan
- Learn to effectively monitor and control a project
- Learn to use technology to facilitate communication and stakeholder management
- Gain insight into the factors that influence project management and project outcomes
- Apply soft skills such as communication, learning, motivation, communication styles, negotiation, conflict resolution, and team building to enhance positive project outcomes
- Apply quantitative skills to inform good decision making
- Develop an “operational map” for navigating projects towards successful outcomes
Resources for Current Students and Alumni
The Professional Development team provides various services to students including webinars, networking events, and an alumni scholarship program. Current students and alumni are encouraged to learn more about the Student Advisory Board.