What You Earn
- The Essentials of Project Management certificate introduces students to the technical and interpersonal skills necessary to master the basic theory and practice of project management.
- Through interactive discussions and group assignments, students will gain direct experience using appropriate tools and techniques that will successfully execute a project from initiation through completion. Unlike many foundational programs, students will be exposed to many of the “soft skills” inherent in successful project execution such as communication, interpersonal relationships, and problem-solving.
- Students earn this certificate by completing one online course or two on-site courses.
- The courses in this series will be aligned with the Project Management Institute (PMI®) A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge, (PMBOK® Guide) - Fifth Edition, Project Management Institute, Inc., 2013). This program will cover all the core materials included in the CAPM® or PMP® Professional Certification exam which offered by the Project Management Institute. Successful participants will earn 35 PMI PDUs. This is not a test prep course nor does it guarantee successful completion of a PMI Certification exam. These courses are not offered for university credit.
Professionals understanding the basics of project management make themselves a valuable part of a growing industry. The number of project management jobs is growing at an exponential rate and trained project managers will be prepared to excel in any organization.
Participants in this program will:
- Learn to make effective decisions regarding when, how, and what degree of rigor is required in the project implementation process
- Understand the Knowledge Area Process Groups framework of project management and how to tailor it for various projects
- Learn to develop an effective project management plan
- Learn to effectively monitor and control a project
- Learn to use technology to facilitate communication and stakeholder management
- Gain insight into the factors that influence project management and project outcomes
- Apply soft skills such as communication, learning, motivation, communication styles, negotiation, conflict resolution, and team building to enhance positive project outcomes
- Apply quantitative skills to inform good decision making
- Develop an “operational map” for navigating projects towards successful outcomes
Students earn this certificate by completing a rigorous eight week online course or two two-day onsite courses.
Tuition for each on-site course is $1250 and the online course is $2500.
Learning formats and assessment:
Classes are offered in two formats: online or onsite. Class sizes are small, ranging from ten to twenty people.
- Eight weeks course length.
- Two required virtual sessions and three optional virtual sessions introduce you to your instructor and to your classmates.
- Students participate in group projects and online discussions as well as individual assignments in response to recorded lectures and individual assignments and quizzes.
- Expect to spend three to four hours per week to meet the requirements for successful completion of the course.
- Courses are offered in a convenient two-day seminar format at the University of Chicago Gleacher Center in downtown Chicago.
- All materials and networking lunches are included in the tuition.
- Courses are offered on Thursdays and Fridays from 9 am to 4:30 pm.
- Participants will be assigned pre-readings and expected to participate in highly interactive discussions and group work. Students will also be expected to complete a take-home assignment after the conclusion of the last day of class.
All courses will be graded. Each course will have clear learning goals and objectives which will be shared with students. An assessment will determine how well each student demonstrated mastery of the learning goals. The Project Management program model depends on highly interactive learning, sp each course will have both a participation and assignment grade. The assignment will be either an individual or team assessment. An individual assignment could be a quick quiz or a take-home paper.
Project Management Essentials Courses