The Civic Knowledge Project’s (CKP) mission is to develop and strengthen community connections through top quality, humanities-based educational programming, helping to overcome the social, economic, and racial divisions among the various knowledge communities on the South Side of Chicago.
Becoming involved with the project will enable you to learn more about Chicago and the issues it confronts, and actively work to make it a better place, advancing the forms of civic friendship that matter most. The CKP can offer you learning opportunities that include:
- Researching and recording in innovative and participatory ways the rich history of Chicago’s South Side
- Helping to learn about and support the arts and humanities in the communities surrounding the University
- Working in the local public schools to foster the verbal arts of philosophical conversation and ethical debate, and to promote the humanities generally
- Collaborating with local community leaders and organizations to create a greener and more sustainable South Side, advancing such creative initiatives as the Timuel D. Black Edible Arts Garden, located at 5710 S. Woodlawn
- Collaborating with the Illinois Humanities Council and the Clemente Course in the Humanities to provide a wealth of courses and activities in the humanities for disadvantaged adults
- Participating in rich, interdisciplinary educational programming that addresses key social issues by connecting scholars and students from a wide and diverse range of knowledge communities both within and without the University
Working with many local institutions, the CKP combines a commitment to academic excellence with a sense of social justice. For more information please visit the Civic Knowledge Project or contact CKP Director Bart Schultz at 773.702.8821. We welcome your participation!
Come get to know outstanding, world-class thinkers in an intimate conversational setting. On select Thursdays from 5:30–7:30 PM at the Gleacher Center, the Graham School and Civic Knowledge Project will provide food, drink, and the best talk in town. We hope that you will join us for the conversation!