The Artifact Collection Care Certificate Program (ACCCP) will provide you with the skills and knowledge you need to care for a collection of art and artifacts at organizations such as small museums and historical societies or in your personal collection.
About the Program
With instructors drawn from the leading cultural organizations throughout Chicago, you will be offered exclusive, behind-the-scenes experiences with historical objects, photographs, papers, textiles, art, and other items. You will learn how to :
- Track and organize collections
- Handle and label objects
- Prepare objects for storage
- Protect objects from light and other environmental damage
Upon completion of the Certificate, you will have developed techniques to manage a variety of collections, even with limited resources.
The ACCCP can be completed in one calendar year, or the courses can be taken over multiple years. In order to receive the Certificate, you must complete all four core courses along with two elective courses of your own choosing. Courses can be also taken on an individual basis, without applying for the Certificate. To better accommodate working schedules, courses are offered during weekends or evenings.
Each student must complete
Four Core Courses
- Protecting the Collection: Environmental Factors
- Collections Policy and Procedure
- Display, Storage and Use I
- Display, Storage and Use II
Any Two Elective Courses
- Basics of Materials: Paper and Book
- Digitizing Collections
- Exhibitions Development and Design
- Basics of Materials: Photography
- Grant Writing
- Current resume/CV
- Brief statement explaining how this program will benefit you (250 word max)
- Completed ACC application form