International Applicants

Saieh HallThe University of Chicago values the diversity of perspective and experience brought by international students. The University is proud to host students from more than 100 countries, and we welcome international applicants to this program.

Admissions Requirements

  • Currently enrolled as a full-time student in an undergraduate program leading to BA or equivalent or as a full-time student in a graduate program.
  • If an undergraduate, must have successfully completed 2 years of study in a field related to international political economy.
  • Applicants must have GPA of 3.0 or higher

English Language Requirements

International applicants for admission to the University must meet the English language requirements outlined below unless they meet one of the cases for exception. We will accept either TOEFL or IELTS taken within the past two years.

  • TOEFL minimum: 104, with sub scores of 26 each.
  • IELTS minimum: 7, with sub scores of 7 each.

Where to Send Scores

TOEFL: If you are taking the TOEFL, request the scores to be sent to the University of Chicago; the University of Chicago institutional code for ETS is 1832.

IELTS: University of Chicago downloads IELTS scores that have been transmitted to our institutional account. Please contact your test center and request that your scores be sent to the following IELTS institutional account:

University of Chicago – Graduate Enrollment
970 East 58th Street, Third Floor
Chicago, IL 60637

We will not accept paper IELTS test report forms.

Language Requirement Exceptions

The English language requirement may be waived under specific circumstances: if the applicant is a United States citizen, Permanent Resident, or studied in full-time status for at least one academic year within the last five years in the United States, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, or English-medium universities in Canada or South Africa. Students who studied in English in other countries—for example, India, Pakistan, the Philippines, or Singapore—are not exempt from the English language requirement.

Transcripts and Certificates of Records

UChicago campus in the FallApplicants should submit official academic transcripts with grading scales for each year of post-secondary education at a college or university, as well as official copies of degrees awarded (unless the transcript shows degrees awarded). Official copies of credentials should be validated by a school administrative officer such as a registrar or an official of the issuing body. True copies prepared and signed by faculty members, city or government officials, or notaries public are not considered official. If the standard in your home country is for someone in one of these categories to validate documents, please contact your program’s admissions office to discuss your situation.

Documents should be issued in their original language and be accompanied by official English translations. The translations should be prepared or verified by someone whose position requires knowledge of both English and the other language, e.g., a professor of English at a French university.


The University of Chicago Office of International Affairs offers support and guidance for students who must obtain a visa to study in the United States. If you are admitted and decide to attend the program, you will receive specific instructions and support with the process.