Grievance Procedure

For matters dealing with class procedures, grades, or other academic affairs, the student first should approach that course instructor involved and attempt to resolve the issue with him or her. If the student's concerns are not satisfactorily resolved after discussion with the course instructor, the student should present the matter to the Graham School's dean of students in writing. The dean of students will work with the course instructor and associate dean. If the matter remains unresolved after the intervention of the associate dean and the dean of students, the student may contact the University's student ombudsman, who works as an outside observer and mediator.

For matters dealing with general policies of the School, petitions should be made directly to the dean of students.