The Postgraduate Certificate in Medical Physics provides a year-long professional track for individuals who have earned a PhD in physics. It is offered in partnership with the University of Chicago Committee on Medical Physics and is accredited by CAMPEP, the Commission on Accreditation of Medical Physics Education Programs. Students who successfully earn the certificate are eligible to enter CAMPEP-accredited residency programs in medical physics that provide the necessary clinical experience required for ABR (American Board of Radiology) certification.
About the Program
This program is designed to help students with PhDs in physics transition to a medical physics profession.
- Attain competency in imaging and radiation physics, related mathematics, and biological principles
- Obtain hands-on laboratory training with innovators in the field
- Be eligible to enter CAMPEP-approved residency programs upon completion of the certificate.
The program is a three-quarter-long sequence that fulfills requirements outlined in American Association of Physicists in Medicine Reports 197 and 197S. Students take:
- Two noncredit core courses
- Eight courses for credit during the academic year
- MPHY 35000 Interaction of Ionizing Radiation with Matter
- MPHY 34900 Mathematics for Medical Physicists
- MPHY 35601 Anatomical Structure & Physiological Function of the Human Body
- MPHY 35100 Physics of Radiation Therapy
- MPHY 34400 Practicum: Physics of Radiation Therapy
- MPHY 35900 Cancer and Radiation Biology
- MPHY 39700 Health Physics
- MPHY 32000 Overview of the Physics of Medical Imaging
- Introduction to bioethics (NC)
- Statistical Concepts for Clinical Research (NC)
To complete an application, students must:
- Hold a PhD in physics from an American or Canadian university with minimum 3.0 GPA
- Complete the online application
- Write a statement of purpose
- Supply a resume/CV
- Include official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended
- Submit two letters of recommendation
- Pay a $55 non-refundable application fee
Please visit our Graduate Student Checklist for a list of actions to take after admission to the program. Visit the Graham School’s Student Resources page to discover numerous student-life related resources and publications.