The MScA is intended for emerging analytics professionals and for those who wish to advance their careers in the field. The MScA is appropriate for a wide range of professionals including:
- Professionals with backgrounds in fields like information technology, computer science, mathematics, and statistics who want to develop analytical skills to become a data scientist.
- Professionals with backgrounds in social or biological sciences such as business, economics, medicine, and chemistry, or who have earned MBAs, who want to enhance their analytics skills for improved decision-making and leadership across their areas of responsibility.
- Recent college graduates in physical or social sciences who want to become analytics professionals. Although the program suggests at least two years of work experience, recent college graduates with exceptional academic performance are encouraged to apply.
You will need the following for the online application by the application deadline:
- Completed Application (online)
- $75 Application Fee (non-refundable)
- Transcripts. One transcript from each university attended must be uploaded within the application. We accept unofficial transcripts for application evaluation, which can be uploaded as a PDF as part of your online application. Please do not mail transcripts as part of your admission application. If you are offered admission, one official transcript for each university attended will be required at least one month prior to matriculation. An unofficial transcript for undergraduate coursework is still required even if you hold an advanced degree(s).
- English Proficiency. If your native language is not English, we require a TOEFL or IELTS test score by the application deadline. Our TOEFL and College Board code is 1832. The required proficiency standards include a score of 104 on the TOEFL (with 4 sub scores of 26 each), or 7 overall on the IELTS (with sub scores of 7 each; Note that students are required to take the Academic Reading/Writing test within IELTS, not the General Training Reading/Writing test). If your score is lower than the required proficiency standard in the total score or sub scores, we do recommend you retake the test. The English language requirement may be waived if the applicant is a native of or studied in full-time status for at least one academic year within the last five years in the U.S., the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand or English medium universities in Canada or South Africa.
- Letters of Recommendation. Three letters of recommendation from individuals who can assess your academic or professional qualifications are due by the application deadline. Letters from family members or peer-level colleagues are not acceptable.
- Candidate Statement. Applicants are required to demonstrate the motivation, academic potential, and ability to undertake work at the University of Chicago by writing a candidate statement (typed, double-spaced, not to exceed four pages) highlighting their qualifications and describing their interest.
- International Transcripts: If you attended an international university or college, we require a Course by Course Evaluation by a NACES Evaluator for each international institution to be submitted by the application deadline. A course-by-course evaluation will translate courses, degree, and grades to U.S. equivalency. Please visit http://www.naces.org/members.htm for more details. Evaluation reports should be mailed to: The University of Chicago Graham School; Attention - Graduate Admissions; 1427 East 60th Street, Second Floor; Chicago, Illinois 60637. The agency you choose may also submit your evaluation report electronically to email@example.com.
- Resume or CV
The MScA is an OPT/STEM approved program of the University of Chicago.
Analytics, the Graham School
The University of Chicago
1427 E. 60th Street
Chicago, IL 60637
The program will initiate interviews for candidates who are being strongly considered for admission or for candidates for whom additional information is needed. An applicant cannot request an interview. The program will contact the applicant to arrange an interview.
This program admits twice per year.
|Start Quarter||Application Deadline||Decision Notification|
*The Spring 2018 application will open in mid-July.
|October 2, 2017||November 1, 2017|
|Autumn 2018||April 2, 2018||May 1, 2018|
Admission decisions for the MScA program are not offered on a rolling basis.