- A writing sample
- Transcripts. One unofficial transcript from each university attended must be uploaded within the application. Please do not mail transcripts as part of your admission application; we accept unofficial uploads only for application evaluation. If you are offered admission, one official transcript for each university attended will be required prior to the first day of the term. An unofficial transcript for undergraduate coursework is still required for application evaluation even if you hold an advanced degree(s).
- English Proficiency. If your native language is not English, we require a TOEFL or IELTS test score. Our TOEFL and College Board code is 1832. The required proficiency standards include a score of 104 on the TOEFL (with 4 sub scores of 26 each), or 7 overall on the IELTS (with sub scores of 7 each*). Applicants who have completed an undergraduate or graduate degree in the United States are exempt from providing proof of English proficiency.
- Letters of Recommendation. We require 2 letters of recommendation from individuals who can assess your academic or professional qualifications.
- Candidate Statement. Applicants are required to demonstrate the motivation, academic potential, and ability to undertake work at the University of Chicago by writing a candidate statement (typed, double-spaced, not to exceed 4 pages) describing his or her interest.
- International Transcripts Applicants with international transcripts must provide an English translation with their applications. An official course-by-course evaluation of transcripts may be requested through an accredited NACES member. A course-by-course evaluation will translate courses, degree(s), and grades to U.S. equivalents. Please visit http://www.naces.org/members.htm for more details.
- Resume or CV
- $75 Application Fee (non-refundable)
Standardized test scores (GRE, GMAT) are not required for the MLA program.
* Students are required to take the Academic Reading/Writing test within IELTS, not the General Training Reading/Writing test.
Submit your official transcripts if accepted to the program.
An interview with the program director may be conducted at the request of the applicant or the admissions committee.
|Winter 2017||November 17, 2016*
Quarter begins January 3
|Spring 2017||March 13, 2017*
Quarter begins March 27
*International applicants who need a student visa should apply at least 30 days before the listed deadline.