Essentials of Project Management covers the core materials included in the Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)® or Project Management Professional (PMP)® Certification exam which is offered by the Project Management Institute.
Program Structure: Online or In-Person (Two Options)
Students earn the Essentials of Project Management certificate by completing one online course or two in-person courses.
- Courses are aligned with the Project Management Institute (PMI)® A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge, PMBOK® Guide - Sixth Edition, Project Management Institute, Inc., 2013
- Successful participants will earn 35 PMI® PDUs
- This is not a test prep course nor does it guarantee successful completion of a PMI® Certification exam
- Courses are not offered for university credit
- Classes are offered online or in-person
- Class sizes of 10-20 students per course
View Option A: One Online Course
- PMGT17101: Essentials of Project Management - 35 PDUs (Online)
View Option B: Two Two-Day In-Person Courses
Online and In-person Class Formats
- 8 week course length
- Courses are hosted in Canvas, our learning management system.
- Courses start on a Wednesday
- Weekly self-paced learning and materials are time-sensitive and must be completed within required timeframes
- Synchronous sessions: 2 of them are required, 3 are optional.
- Synchronous sessions are conducted through Zoom
- Students will participate in group projects and online discussions as well as individual assignments and quizzes in response to recorded lectures
- Expect to spend 3-4 hours per week to meet the requirements for successful completion of the course
- Learn more about taking online courses
- Convenient 2-day seminar format on Thursday and Friday from 9 a.m.–4:30 p.m. at the University of Chicago Gleacher Center in downtown Chicago
- Breakfasts and lunches are included in the tuition
- Participants will be assigned pre-readings and expected to participate in highly interactive discussions and group work
- Students will be expected to complete an individual or team take-home assignment after the conclusion of the last day of class (an individual assignment could be a quick quiz or a take-home paper)
- Students will be assessed towards demonstrating their mastery of the learning outcomes of each course
- The Project Management program model depends on highly interactive learning, so each course will have both a participation and assignment grade
PMP®/CAPM® Exam Prep Course
For those interested in taking the certification exam, we now offer an intensive 3-day exam prep course designed to further develop your understanding of the materials included in the Project Management Professional certification, while practicing them within the context of the PMP®/CAPM® examination. This course will allow you to apply concepts and tools more effectively in your real-world practice of project management—making this qualification a true professional asset.
*PMI, PMP, CAPM, and the PMBOK are registered marks of the Project Management Institute, Inc.