The Editing Certificate is a focused sequence of courses designed to prepare individuals for employment in today's publishing industry.
About the Program
In addition to core courses focused on manuscript editing, students can take electives and learn about the emerging technologies and marketing tools that dramatically affect publishing professionals today.
Required courses are offered two to three times a year and electives one time a year. All face-to-face courses are held in a convenient, three-day intensive seminar format at the University of Chicago Gleacher Center, located in downtown Chicago.
Online sections are available for the 2014–2015 academic year as well as a select number of face-to-face offerings.
Online courses are four to six weeks long, with weekly live classroom sessions. In addition to the live sessions, participants complete required readings, assignments, and self-study activities. All participants' equipment and software must meet minimal technical standards for online learning.
Students must take five courses (four required and one elective) to attain a certificate. Students may decide on the course format (online or face-to-face).
Required courses are:
- Basic Manuscript Editing
- Intermediate Manuscript Editing
- Advanced Manuscript Editing
- Editing Electronically
- Introduction to Acquisitions Editing
- Introduction to eBook Formatting
- Developmental Editing
- Essentials of Grammar for Professionals
- Copyright for Publishing Professionals
- Designing and Editing Tables and Graphs (MWE crossover course)
- Introduction to Medical Editing I Online (MWE crossover course)
Adobe Connect Practice Sessions for Online Courses (optional)
A virtual classroom will be available on Tuesdays, from 8:00-9:00pm Central Time and Thursdays, from 11:00-11:30am Central Time, if you'd like to test your computer and audio equipment or try to solve a technical issue. An Online Course Monitor will be logged on as well during these times to provide any technical assistance you may need. To enter the space, go to the virtual classroom, and log in as a guest, using your full name. You do not need a password.
See our FAQ page for more information.
- Students should hold a BA.
- Students may take up to 1 course without applying to the program. An application must be on file before students register for a second course.
To apply, students should submit
- A completed application
- Statement of purpose (250 words) describing why you wish to enroll in the certificate.
- Current professional resume
- $40 application fee
Members of related professional associations such as the Editorial Freelancers Association, Chicago Women in Publishing, Independent Writers of Chicago, the Council of Science Editors, and American Copy Editors Society qualify for a 10% discount when able to provide proof of current, valid membership. The professional membership discount is not available for online registration. Please call Registration at 773.702.1722.
If you are a member of an organization not listed above, please contact the program manager at email@example.com