The Graham School is proud to offer an innovative Postgraduate Certificate in Medical Physics, in partnership with the Faculty of the CAMPEP-approved Graduate Program in Medical Physics and the University of Chicago's Committee on Medical Physics. Medical physics applies the principles of the physical sciences to biomedical problems. The activities of medical physicists cover a broad spectrum that ranges from the study of basic biomedical processes to the diagnosis and treatment of disease, and thus, the training of a medical physicist must be broad. To participate fruitfully in this interdisciplinary profession, a medical physicist must be thoroughly competent in the physical and mathematical sciences related to imaging physics and radiation physics, must understand biological principles, and must be able to communicate with physicians.
The Graham School and the University of Chicago's Committee on Medical Physics designed the Certificate program to provide necessary training for physicists who are interested in moving to medical physics with the knowledge that they will need in their future profession. Applicants must hold a PhD in physics from either US or Canadian universities.
The medical physics program at the University of Chicago is recognized internationally for its research excellence. Many of the investigators are leaders in their respective specialties. Also, because the program is located in the Medical Center of the University, there are strong interactions between the clinical and research staff.
Certificate recipients will receive didactic training in medical physics in a three-quarter-long sequence to fulfill requirements outlined in AAPM (American Association of Physicists in Medicine) Report 197 and its supplement 197S. Upon completion of the certificate, recipients will be eligible to enter CAMPEP-approved residency programs in order to gain the clinical training necessary to function as independent and qualified clinical medical physicists.
Please read the FAQ pdf for more information
- Obtain didactic training from a CAMPEP-approved educational program
- Interact with academic medical physicists who are innovators in their field
- Obtain hands-on experience with state-of-the-art equipment in laboratory experiments
- Attend GPMP seminars given by world-renowned, visiting medical physics scholars
- Network with GPMP graduate students who will be future colleagues in medical physics
- Become familiar with Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and ethics requirements for working with patients
- Prior students have had interviews and been accepted to residencies at prestigious facilities