The Convocation Ceremony
At the end of each quarter, the University holds a formal Convocation Ceremony. You may apply to graduate in any one of the four quarters. In Spring Quarter, the Convocation Ceremony is held outside in Harper Quadrangle. In the other three quarters, it is held in Rockefeller Chapel. At Convocation, MLA students graduate alongside students from other academic departments and are awarded a Master of Liberal Arts degree from the University of Chicago. More information about the ceremony can be found on the Convocation website.
Steps for Graduation
When you have completed seven or more MLA courses and begun working on your thesis or special project, you should also begin thinking about preparing for graduation. You can follow the steps below as preparation for your graduation.
- Contact the MLA office so that we know you are getting ready to graduate. After speaking with a staff member, check your email for any additional instructions, requirements and procedures for the quarter in which you plan to graduate.
- Register for MLAP 39900 MLA Thesis/Special Project if you have not registered previously. Contact the MLA office for permission to register for this course. Students register for MLAP 39900 one time, regardless of when they actually graduate.
- Apply for your degree. Fill out the degree application on CMore. You must submit your degree application by 3 pm on Friday of the first week before the quarter in which you plan to graduate. A fee of $50 will be charged for each degree application that is cancelled after the end of the fifth week of the quarter in which it is filed.
- Turn in the ticket request form if you are graduating in Summer, Autumn or Winter. Tickets are not needed for the Spring Convocation Ceremony.
- Complete or make arrangements to complete any incomplete courses.
- Meet all deadlines for the completion of the Thesis/Special Project.