For nearly three decades, the Graham School of Continuing Liberal and Professional Studies has offered students the highest quality instruction available on a range of publishing, editing, and writing topics. The Certificate in Editing is a focused sequence of classes designed to prepare the editor for the profession today. In addition to basic, intermediate, and advanced editing, the certificate curriculum offers students courses on the various new technologies that dramatically affect editing, from editing electronically to preparing text for the Internet.
The Graham School often retains as instructors editors at the University of Chicago Press. Since 1906, the University of Chicago Press has published The Chicago Manual of Style, an authoritative resource in the publishing industry. Now in its 16th edition, The Chicago Manual of Style serves as the basis of many of the certificate program courses.
Classes are removed from the website after they have run and online registration is closed when a class reaches capacity or near capacity. In the event online registration is turned off, students can call 773.702.1722. For a complete listing of 2012-2013 offerings, please see the program brochure.
Who Should Participate
- Editors seeking to broaden and deepen their expertise in editing
- Freelance professionals who want training in The Chicago Manual of Style
- Corporate communication professionals seeking rigorous training in editing procedure
- New college graduates hoping to enter the editing field who want comprehensive training
Upon completion of the program, students will
- Understand the role of the editor within the publishing process
- Be fully familiar with the 16th edition of The Chicago Manual of Style
- Be able to mark up copy correctly for typesetting changes
- Be able to create and use style sheets for consistency over long documents
- Be able to use computer-processing software to edit documents
- Understand the requirements of substantive editing, while striving to maintain the author’s voice
- Be prepared to take a copy editing test
How to Contact Us
We welcome all your questions. You can email Amber Neff, at email@example.com or call at 773.702.1682 during daytime business hours, or you can write us at Editing Certificate Program, University of Chicago Graham School, 1427 E. 60 St., Chicago, IL, 60637.
The Editing Certificate is now on LinkedIn! You can also stay current on upcoming courses and events and industry news at our new blog!