The MLA program is always looking for talented, engaged and curious people who will bring their interests, questions, ideas, and life experiences to classroom discussions. We hope that you will submit an application. Applicants may apply to and begin the MLA program in the autumn, winter, or spring quarters. To apply one must have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree.
- Application: Apply online or download the application form
- Candidate Statement
- Writing Sample
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- Official academic transcripts enclosed in a sealed envelope from every college and/or university from which you received a degree or were enrolled in a degree program. In order to ensure timely application processing, international transcripts, when necessary, must be submitted in a translated English version. Applicants who have previously attended another University of Chicago program must submit a transcript of their course work.
- International applicants generally must submit proof of English proficiency by providing TOEFL/IELTS scores. Exemptions may be granted if the applicant attended for two years a secondary school where the language of instruction was English, or if the applicant attended a one year institution of higher learning in the United States of America. Other evidence documenting English proficiency may also qualify.
- $55 Application Fee
- After the materials have been reviewed, selected applicants will be invited for an interview with the program director.
Winter Quarter 2013
Application deadline December 3, 2012
Application deadline for applicants requiring student visas November 2, 2012
Quarter begins January 7, 2013
Quarter ends March 23, 2013
Spring Quarter 2013
Application deadline February 13, 2013
Application deadline for applicants requiring student visas January 11, 2013
Quarter begins April 1, 2013
Quarter ends June 15, 2013
Autumn Quarter 2013
Application deadline August 21, 2013
Application deadline for applicants requiring student visas July 19, 2013
Quarter begins September 30, 2013
(No classes Thanksgiving Week November 25-30)
Quarter ends December 14, 2013
If you have questions, call us at 773.834.0159 or 773.834.2964 or send an email to MLAinfo@uchicago.edu.